Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Couscous Cucumber Salad

Happy Wednesday! 
With the warmer weather here and Spring just around the corner, I have decided to give myself a "salad-challenge"! My challenge is to make at least two new salads every week for my lunches! The first one I tried is this delicious and super easy couscous and cucumber salad. It was so delicious that I ate it all before remembering to take a photo for the blog post, so I had to search for a similar looking image online. This is not quite the same, but close. 

Photo taken from homemade-recipes.blogspot.com/2008_12_01_archive.html
The Recipe:
1 cup of boiling water
1 cup of plain couscous
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil


1/2 - 3/4 chopped English cucumber
1/2 grated zucchini (with peel)
2-3 chopped sundried tomatoes (this does add sodium - optional)
2 chopped green onions
1 tbsp fresh chopped mint


Chili Dressing:
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1-2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp agave syrup (or 2 tsp liquid honey)
1 tsp chili powder
salt & pepper to taste


Directions:
Combine boiling water, couscous, and oil into a heat proof bowl. Cover and allow to sit for 5 minutes, Fluff with a fork. Add vegetables and mint, toss. 
Dressing - combine all ingrediants into a jar with tight fitting lid. Shake well. Pour over couscous vegetable mixture and toss. 


I added canned (& rinsed) chickpeas to my salad to make it a wholesome lunch salad! This would also be tasty with tuna, leftover chicken, or fish! Try different vegetables and combinations to suit your style! Feel free to post your ideas below!

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment