Tabata workouts are based on 20 seconds of hard work, with 10 seconds of rest for 8 sets of one exercise - 4 minutes per exercise. We are going to do 4 exercises consecutively, so it will only take 16 minutes and keep your heart rate elevated the whole time! You will get the cardio benefits of a 3-4 km jog while strengthening and toning your entire body. Let's GO!!
If you have an interval timer (most sports watches do) set it for 2 intervals: 20 seconds and 10 seconds and 32 rounds.
1) One-Legged Mountain Climbers
targets arms, shoulders, upper back, entire core, quads, hamstrings, and glutes
- set up in a high plank/push-up position from toes
- bend one knee up and briefly touch toe on ground under chest, then kick it right back to start
- perform as quickly as possible while maintaining good form
- continue ALL reps on one leg for four sets (2 minutes per leg)
- switch legs
Repeat this mantra throughout: "Tight core and strong shoulders"
targets chest, arms, shoulders, upper back, and core
- perform as many as you can in the 20 seconds
- come back onto your knees and rest your arms and wrists during your 10 second break
- repeat for the 8 rounds
Repeat this mantra throughout: "Yes, I CAN"
3) Forward and Backward Pendulum Lunges
targets quads, hamstrings, calves, and core
- start with feet together
- step back into a backwards lunge - both knees should be bent to 90〫
- on the same leg - step all the way through to a forward lunge (try to not touch toes in center)
- complete 4 sets (2 minutes) on one leg before switching to other leg
- switch and repeat other leg for 4 sets (2 minutes)
Repeat this mantra throughout: "My bum is going to be beautiful!"
4) Isometric Oblique Hold
- start on ground, on one side - rest head on lower arm and make sure body is in straight line
- lift top hand to hip, with elbow in the air
- keeping your head on the ground/arm, lift top leg then bottom leg to meet it
- hold legs straight from body, with core engaged, feeling your top oblique contract and strengthen
- complete 4 sets (2 minutes) on side
- roll onto other side and complete remaining 2 minutes (4 sets)
Repeat this mantra throughout: "Keep belly button pulled in toward spine - tight core"
Remember - only the 10 second rests allowed, no extra time when switching exercises. Have water bottle ready for a quick sip.
Enjoy this calorie burning, heart pounding workout anywhere your holidays may take you!